Regaining lost hair would be a dream come true for anybody who is balding. This fantasy – and increasing reality – is important to more than 50% of 50-year-old men and some women of the same age, for whom "hair today, gone tomorrow" is no laughing matter.
Hair transplanting nowadays consists in moving hair from areas of sturdy growth to bald or thinning areas. That is, what we do is redistribute the hair a person has. We can do this because not all the hair on the scalp is influenced the same way by male hormones. Therefore, in surgery for hair loss, follicles are taken from donor areas at the rear and sides of the head and reinserted in the bald or thin areas of the scalp. This hair will grow for the rest of owner's life, just as it would have grown in its original location.
Types of Surgery:
1. Classic strip harvest: Grafts are taken by extracting a strip of hair-bearing skin from the occipital area of the head. This donor area is closed with sutures, which are removed seven to 12 days later. The hair follicles are immediately put under special microscopes, where they are separated from the strip and from each other, and they are then inserted directly into the recipient area. The only real advantage of strip harvesting is that this is a faster technique for the surgeon to perform. The main disadvantage is that it leaves a scar up to 20 centimeters long at the back of the head, which is painful and unattractive but can be hidden under the hair, unless the hair is worn very short. This technique is still being used by some surgeons.
2.Follicular unit extraction (FUE): The latest research in the field of micro-transplantation has enabled an improvement to be made in technique. Now the follicle is extracted directly from the scalp and immediately inserted into the thinning areas. The results with this technique are very natural, since each follicular unit is extracted in its natural state and is not manipulated, and it is immediately transplanted into the recipient area.
FUE has set off a revolution in hair transplants, because it is a minimally invasive technique that allows patients to get right back into their routine the day after surgery. In addition, it leaves no visible traces of surgery after a week's time. Follicle extraction is simple and painless, and the area heals in 48 hours. There is no risk of nerve damage. There are no outside influences on healing, because the surgical wounds measure less than a millimeter. What's more, with FUE we can solve hair problems with a single operation, since FUE can deal with a larger number of units than the conventional strip technique. We can also achieve a more-natural look, since we can attain the hair density the patient wants.
Here's a summary of the advantages of the FUE technique:
- There are no sutures or other visible signs of the transplant. We don't extract a strip or flap, there are no stitches, and in fact we never use a scalpel at any time.
- There's no scar left, so you can cut your hair as you please and even shave the donor area as close as you like.
- Post-operative recovery is very fast, so you can schedule daily, weekly or monthly grafts at your convenience.
- Hair from different parts of the body (chest, pubic area) can be used to provide additional density when the original donor area is insufficient. This is called BHT (body hair transplant).
- For severe baldness, we can arrange megasessions where more than 4,000 follicular units are transplanted, scheduled for consecutive days.
Lastly, FUE is ideal for concealing unsightly scars from previous transplants, redesigning the hairline and increasing the density in punch, micro- and mini-graft transplant areas. In cooperation with CETA (Centro Especial de Técnicas Avanzadas, the Special Center of Advanced Techniques), we've been pioneering the development of this type of scar-free treatment for hair growth in bald areas since 2003. We have two of the finest hair transplant specialists in all of Europe (www.clinicaceta.es).
In our daily work, we've always been committed to RESULTS, QUALITY, RESEARCH and the MOST-ADVANCED TECHNIQUES. Nowadays there are many qualified, internationally recognized hair transplant surgeons. What we advise is, once you've decided to get a hair transplant, do some research and get a thorough grasp of the available techniques, the different surgeons and the clinics that are out there. It's also important to talk to patients who have already had a transplant at the clinic you're considering or examine other patients' results.
On your first visit to our clinic, we'll inform you free of charge about all the treatment options, and we'll make you a personalized, guaranteed estimate.